Subject: Re: now "slavery and intellectual property"
From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller <robin@roblimo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 18:52:51 -0400

Anderson, Kelly wrote:

>The result of this 1808 legislation was that more internal "breeding" of
>slaves occurred and imports of new slaves from Africa to the US dropped
>to near zero. The original assertion was that the importation slowed due
>to economic pressures of some kind.

My original comment was based on a recollection of slave market
slowdowns in Fells Point (Baltimore) and some comtemporary articles
about former "African Trade" captains finding new, lucrative lines of
work. As I said in the original comment, I was researching something
else at the time, and this was sort of a side-glance. I did not know
that slave imports were banned in 1808. Thanks for letting me know.

- Robin