Subject: Re: near/medium future digital media economics
From: "Ben Tilly" <btilly@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 10:11:51 -0700

 Fri, 19 May 2006 10:11:51 -0700
On 5/18/06, Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net> wrote:
>  Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
[...]
>  We're saying the same thing in different words.  Ok, yes, "momentary" was
>  a misleading word choice.   All I meant is that said experts don't need or
>  necessarily benefit from completely excluding public participation even if
>  that's useful for an initial statement.   Of course, the critical thing
>  is that they can win on the merit of their content rather than by winning
> by
>  controlling  a centralized site like Wikipedia, and related to that, that
> they can
>  develop their content without having to fight hard to avoid its corruption
>  by <derogatory-category> Wikipedia folks sitting on entries.

I don't believe that better content convinces people who actively
believe in something different.  For more on why I don't believe that
see http://www.perlmonks.org/?node id=379224.

Also note that there is an eternal tension between people who want
openness of contribution and quality of moderation.  I don't think
that it will ever be resolved either way.

>  All of this comes down to serious technical flaws in Mediawiki but that's
>  a whole separate subject.  (Web 3.0? :-)

I'm sure that something will get that label.  Perhaps it will be built
by people using iXP?

See http://www.pyrasun.com/mike/mt/archives/2005/07/27/21.00.19/index.html :-)

Cheers,
Ben