Subject: Re: near/medium future digital media economics
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 02:28:15 +0900

    Ben> On 5/18/06, Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net> wrote:

    >> Now, if said experts could more easily go momentarily sandbox
    >> themselves, work stuff out, and put up a face -- then we'd be
    >> back in network territory.

    Ben> This is not how opposing camps have *ever* settled their
    Ben> differences.  Unless you change human nature, this won't be
    Ben> how they do it in the future either, no matter how cool a
    Ben> communication technology they have.

I really can't be that cynical.  Until now, soapboxes have been
expensive.  Even a mailing list historically required some management,
and today spam may actually make that burden heavier than before.  It
is not obvious to me that people will not learn to accept that it
really is a matter of who's interesting and who's not, rather than
cliques controlling the important channels.

Sure, some people will continue to insist that the world is conspiring
to hide their light under a bushel, and some people will take their
unpopularity personally, but some---enough to matter---will get the
idea that they need to think about what they're saying and to whom
they want to say it.  The cool kids will go off and play with each
other.

    Ben> Also note that people participating in collaborative content
    Ben> are hardly experts.

Wikipedia, yes.  But most experts collaborate heavily on the content
they produce (consider those physics papers where there are more
characters in the author list than in the whole report); they just are
very selective about their collaborators.