Subject: Re: near/medium future digital media economics
From: "Ben Tilly" <btilly@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 11:42:00 -0700

 Fri, 19 May 2006 11:42:00 -0700
On 5/19/06, Anderson, Kelly <KAnderson@dentrix.com> wrote:
> You know, I've done just that on many occasions. Sometimes with great
> results. Mailing lists make it easier to make friends with former
> strangers, but direct email sometimes works too. Just not as easily or
> as often.

How random were the connections?  I've formed many friendships with
people who randomly shared an interest with me, none with those
without some source of connection.

I've even found, after contacting multiple Ben Tillys, that sharing a
name is not enough of a connection to make the connection attempt
worthwhile.

> It doesn't always work though. I sent an email recently to an Orca
> researcher about some behavior I had observed related to what he was
> studying, and he didn't reply. Sad for him.

So there at least was some shared connection to start with.

Cheers,
Ben