Subject: Re: near/medium future digital media economics
From: Santiago Gala <sgala@hisitech.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 17:15:19 +0200
Mon, 22 May 2006 17:15:19 +0200
El lun, 22-05-2006 a las 01:36 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull escribió:
(...)

> We *are* connected, and that connection has implicit value (option
> value, network externality) whether or not we actually use it.

A (probably) very dumb question here for economists:

Is it true that things have value whether or not we actually use them?

My question comes from the fact that no National accounting system takes
into account the value of forests or fisheries, for instance, except as
companies exploit them or the gov. issues concessions.

This is beginning to change, for instance, for oil reserves, but I'd
like to see it discussed in terms of other resources that are usually
not accounted.

See, for instance:
http://www.wisc.edu/epat/.energy/.When-Prices-miss-the-mark--Methods-for-V1/.Document-divided-by-Chapter-with-Search-1/.When-Prices-Miss-the-Mark--Methods-for-V1.html

Am I completely off base comparing the un-accountancy of intangibles
like network connections with scarce (but not accounted) resources like
air quality or biodiversity)

P.S) A bona-fide, but probably clueless question
Santiago
--
Santiago Gala <sgala@hisitech.com>
High Sierra Technology, SLU