Subject: Re: near/medium future digital media economics
From: "Forrest J. Cavalier III" <mibsoft@mibsoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 15:48:50 -0400

Santiago Gala wrote:

> Is it true that things have value whether or not we actually use them?

I haven't read all the messages in the thread, but yes.

I know people who pay for NetFlix, always get their quota each month,
and then make copies to DVD, WITHOUT WATCHING them.

People pay for Cable TV subscriptions, but then don't watch.

But in what I have read in this thread, network connections I don't use
seems most similar to insurance to me.  Probably won't use it, but "just in case
I use it" is valuable.

But I expect my network company to do more with the revenue above expenses
than my insurance company.