Subject: Re: The term "intellectual property" considered useful
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 19:21:17 +0900

    David>                I beleive RSM original point was that we
    David> should not use intellectual property where it is avoidable
    David> because it does nto have the same common meaning as it does
    David> a legal meaning.

That never stopped him from using "hacker" and "free software" with
meanings different from the mob's accepted ones, nor induce him to
accept the term "piracy" for "copyright infringement", which usage is
specifically mentioned in my dictionary printed in 1983, and thus
surely predates the GNU Manifesto.

So he evidently has other reasons.