Subject: Re: The term "intellectual property" considered useful
From: "David H. Lynch Jr" <dhlii@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 16:20:01 -0400

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>     David>                I beleive RSM original point was that we
>     David> should not use intellectual property where it is avoidable
>     David> because it does nto have the same common meaning as it does
>     David> a legal meaning.
>
> That never stopped him from using "hacker" and "free software" with
> meanings different from the mob's accepted ones, nor induce him to
> accept the term "piracy" for "copyright infringement", which usage is
> specifically mentioned in my dictionary printed in 1983, and thus
> surely predates the GNU Manifesto.

    That does not bear on where this particular debate started and why
the legal issues are mostly tangential.
> So he evidently has other reasons.

    Because someone is not entirely consistent accross numerous
disparate issues their motives are suspect ?

--
Dave Lynch 					  	    DLA Systems
Software Development:  				         Embedded Linux

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of
genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
Albert Einstein