Subject: Re: patent trolls and X-licensors
From: "Ben Tilly" <btilly@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 15:21:13 -0700

On 5/30/06, Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:
> [...]
[...]
>     A> How does this mesh with the oft-heard advice not to do any
>     A> research on existing software in order to be able to plausibly
>     A> plead ignorance of a patent, which leads to milder charges?
>
> I don't care.  If I can't afford to do the search, that's one thing; I
> won't and I'll go ahead and hope I'm OK.  But if the search is of
> reasonable cost and I don't do it, I'm a thief in my own eyes and in
> the eyes of the law.
[...]

I've heard the same advice from lawyers though.  Apparently the law
DOES care - and in the eyes of the law you're much better off avoiding
finding out about patents you might be violating.

But the point is moot since the search is not of reasonable cost.  And
escalating patent volume plus legalese guarantee that it will not be
of reasonable cost at any point in the forseeable future.

Cheers,
Ben