Subject: Re: The term "intellectual property" considered useful
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 16:32:19 +0900

    David> It's a tribute to the effectiveness of the PR campaign that
    David> lasted through most of her adult life--it's been
    David> considerably ramped up since then--that [Mother Teresa is]
    David> associated with anything good.

I didn't write "good", I wrote "focused on human beings", did I not?

    David> And yes, I know, none of this has anything to do with the
    David> matter at hand.

Ah, but it does.  Economics cannot "get it right" without carefully
checking that the model maps to the human condition, but "focus on
human beings" alone cannot "get it right" either, except in certain
very narrow senses.

This applies to "free as in free speech" software, too.  Software
freedom is not and cannot be an absolute.  It must be embedded in a
larger context, but its leading advocates explicitly refuse to do so.