Subject: Re: The term "intellectual property" considered useful
From: "Forrest J. Cavalier III" <mibsoft@mibsoftware.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 08:59:07 -0400

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     David> It's a tribute to the effectiveness of the PR campaign that
>     David> lasted through most of her adult life--it's been
>     David> considerably ramped up since then--that [Mother Teresa is]
>     David> associated with anything good.
>
> I didn't write "good", I wrote "focused on human beings", did I not?
>
>     David> And yes, I know, none of this has anything to do with the
>     David> matter at hand.
>
> Ah, but it does.  Economics cannot "get it right" without carefully
> checking that the model maps to the human condition, but "focus on
> human beings" alone cannot "get it right" either, except in certain
> very narrow senses.
>
> This applies to "free as in free speech" software, too.  Software
> freedom is not and cannot be an absolute.  It must be embedded in a
> larger context, but its leading advocates explicitly refuse to do so.

Must be Stephen's turn to pontificate.  Different intelligent people disagree
about complicated ideals and implementation.  What else is new?  Civilization
continues as long as those differences are allowed to continue.

Stephen, you are not ignorant of the GNU philosophy.  Do you really think
it is a "refusal to consider the larger context"?  If so, what is the "larger
context" you are thinking of?

RMS's journey to champion Software Freedom is very, very much rooted in being
able to share what we have with people around us.  I observe his actions and
speech reflect that he is very principled about people and relationships.  It is
wrong to state that RMS considers software freedom an absolute in service of itself.

The horror in David's mind is that Mother Teresa was not primarily concerned
with the survival, health, and financial well-being survival for those under her
care.  Primarily, she wanted all under her care to feel loved.

Criticism of that ideal and her implementation depends on whether you are theist
or not.  She didn't coerce or defraud anymore than your local church. Grind that
ax elsewhere, please.