Subject: Re: The term "intellectual property" considered useful
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 01:29:08 +0900

>>>>> "Forrest" == Forrest J Cavalier <mibsoft@mibsoftware.com> writes:

    Forrest> Must be Stephen's turn to pontificate.

Be honest: have you ever seen me do anything else but? ;-)

    Forrest> Stephen, you are not ignorant of the GNU philosophy.

Ignorant, no.  Innocent, yes, as demonstrated by rms's regularly
scheduled corrections of my paraphrases. ;-)

    Forrest> Do you really think it is a "refusal to consider the
    Forrest> larger context"?  If so, what is the "larger context" you
    Forrest> are thinking of?

I am referring specifically to rms's consistent refusal to go beyond
advocacy of free software.  He doesn't apply the same principles to
software documentation, music, medications or anything else.  When
asked what they would imply in such contexts, he says "I don't know,
and I'm too busy advocating free software to try to come up with a
comprehensive theory.  I have my opinions if you wish to hear them,
but don't try to compare them to my statements on free software."

    Forrest> Criticism of [Mother Teresa's] ideal and her
    Forrest> implementation depends on whether you are theist or not.

Hey, that was *my* point!  Give it back!