Subject: Re: "open source" -- definition makes me feel better
From: Phil Hughes <fyl@a42.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 20:28:38 -0800 (PST)

I have got to agree with Bruce and Eric here.  No matter what word we
pick--the word can be co-opted.  After all, we are from the community
where basic and sympl are programming languages.

We don't need to change a concept--just a label. By having a paper (that
Bruce included) that explains the concept, I think we are just fine with
open source.

The other issue, again brought up by Bruce, is that we have to decide
now.  Eric is already talking about open source.   We cant wait a
week--probably not even a day--to invent a new term.  Today this is
news, next month it will be old information.  Much like any "symbol of
recognition", if we get it out there  attached to what it means we
should be fine.

--
   Phil Hughes ++++ FYL ++++ fyl@a42.com ++++ Phone/FAX (360) 276-4232
              P.O. Box X, Pacific Beach, Washington 98571