Subject: Re: The term "intellectual property" considered useful
From: Seth Johnson <seth.johnson@RealMeasures.dyndns.org>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 22:34:08 -0400

I invite you to attempt to live in a world without reason.  Say,
a world guided by the notion that vulgar empiricism covers
everything.

Software freedom is absolutely absolute.  The only conceivable
form of exception is a police state.  And that case only
represents an order that stands in abject disavowal of reality.

Seth

"David H. Lynch Jr." wrote:

> Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> > This applies to "free as in free speech" software, too.  Software
> > freedom is not and cannot be an absolute.  It must be embedded in a
> > larger context, but its leading advocates explicitly refuse to do so.
> >

>     And why not ?
>     Almost every values advocacy group believes their values are so
> fundamental they drive laws and nature not the other way around.
>
>     Besides why are some abstractions like the laws of thermodynamics
> absolute, while free speech is fungible.
>
>     Whether some value is or can be absolute depends on whether the
> world and society can continue to function in that context.
>     "embedded in a larger context" is just an appeal to some other value
> - it does not matter what one, that is one step closer to absolute.
>     Even the rejection of  "absolute values" is inherently self
> contradictory.
>

> --
> Dave Lynch                                                  DLA Systems
> Software Development:                                    Embedded Linux
> 717.627.3770           dhlii@dlasys.net           http://www.dlasys.net
> fax: 1.253.369.9244                                Cell: 1.717.587.7774
> Over 25 years' experience in platforms, languages, and technologies too numerous to
list.

> "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch
of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."

--

RIAA is the RISK!  Our NET is P2P!
http://www.nyfairuse.org/action/ftc

DRM is Theft!  We are the Stakeholders!