Subject: Re: patent trolls and X-licensors
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 12:10:50 -0700

begin Thomas Lord quotation of Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 11:52:31AM -0700:

> But what's in it for the inventors?
> A good job at a respectable salary?   Heck, they
> already had that.

Would they have not published without the ability to
get a patent?

Did the quality or quantity of math and CS
publications go up when software patents became
available?

If we're Society and we have Limited Resources, paying
people a bonus to do what they would have done anyway
seems like a waste.

> Nah.  It's more like deciding as a matter of social
> policy that it'd be good if there arose businesses who
> were offering nifty crypto tech so you give a bunch
> of teams $N each to get the ball rolling and say
> "whoever comes up with a winning solution gets
> a 20 year head start on the rewards of commercializing
> it."

How does sitting on an algorithm and charging
admission constitute "offering nifty crypto tech"?

> Oh, and you get back a bunch in taxes from this
> company, it's employees, and the general economic
> growth it helps to create.

That sounds like a broken window fallacy.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/  FreedomHEC: May 26-27, 2006, Seattle