Subject: Re: patent trolls and X-licensors
From: simo <s@ssimo.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 16:11:53 -0400

On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 13:56 -0400, Forrest J. Cavalier III wrote:
> Ben Tilly wrote:
>
> > Given this, I'm fairly comfortable saying that most patents *are*
> > invalid.
>
> Do you think that statement is true of non-software patents too?

I think I would question myself over the Biomedical research field for
that.

The problem with patents is that economically they make sense only in a
market where you need huge investments for any kind of development.

In software that's simply not true, it is very easy and cheap (compared
to any other sector) to find new ideas and to code them up.
The hard part is QA and making your software robust, a thing that
patents can only worsen, because when you have a monopoly you have no
incentives at getting better, only direct competition can achieve that.

Simo.