Subject: open source: the name
From: "Adam J. Richter" <adam@yggdrasil.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 00:31:04 -0800

	Question for the "Open Source" folks: have  you consulted
your legal counsel yet?

	I will be quite surprised if they are able to get a trademark on
that particular name in the United States, nevermind the rest of the world,
nevermind defending it (which I understand you must do more than with
copyrights in order to maintain the rights).  I would think that "freed
software" would stand a better chance, but, then again, I would be
more concerned with the definition associated with that term.

	Don't take this the wrong way.  As long as "Open Source"
is not as a replacement for the term "Free Software" indiscriminantly,
I would be happy to see it gain popular usage.

Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 205
adam@yggdrasil.com     \ /                  San Jose, California 95129-1034
+1 408 261-6630         | g g d r a s i l   United States of America
fax +1 408 261-6631      "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."