Subject: Is a rose a rose?
From: Daniel Nachbar <nachbar@public-software.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 09:12:37 -0500

When our group formed last year, we faced this same naming quandary.
Since somebody else opened this can of worms, I'll add a brief
summary of our thinking.

We settled on "public software" for many of the same marketing
reasons that apply to "open source."  In addition, using the term
"public" gives us the opening to say (correctly) that "public software
is just like public broadcasting."  Understandable and good
associative marketing.

"Public" is also helpful in setting a cooperative tone with the
broader software business because its obvious antonym,
"private software," is not pejorative.  The same can not be said for
"open" and "free."

Dan Nachbar
Public Software Institute
nachbar@public-software.org