Subject: Re: Anyone know of a free software business list?
From: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby@henkel-wallace.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 08:45:11 -0700

On Jun 10, 2006, at 09:05 , Laurent GUERBY wrote:

> Some interesting statistics:
>
> http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT7070519787.html
>
> Note that all proprietary OS for embedded systems are down
> and willingness to pay for service are up.

Ahem, (used to be in that space and all that).

The there are two characteristics of the embedded business that are
wonderful and one that is perhaps not so wonderful.

One is that because the software is part of their COGS, a higher
fixed cost for software is easier to deal with because it's
distributed over your volume.  For consumer goods where the unit
volume is intended to be high this is a double-whammy in favour of
FS.  (low-volume providers like military contractors don't care (how
many ICBMs are being made anyway?) so FS not much of an advantage, or
no advantage for them).   That's the two good reasons

Unfortunately the COGS of high-volume parts matters because the
finished-goods cost is typically low.  Cutting $.50 out of a $100
(retail) MP3 player is immensely valuable, and this problem smacks
every supplier equally.  If you have a good solution to _this_ one
please tell me privately, or unsubscribe from the list and go become
a billionaire.

-g