Subject: Re: Anyone know of a free software business list?
From: Laurent GUERBY <laurent@guerby.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 00:32:27 +0200

On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 13:34 -0700, Thomas Lord wrote:
> DV Henkel-Wallace wrote:
> > Unfortunately the COGS of high-volume parts matters because the
> > finished-goods cost is typically low.  Cutting $.50 out of a $100
> > (retail) MP3 player is immensely valuable, and this problem smacks
> > every supplier equally.  If you have a good solution to _this_ one
> > please tell me privately, or unsubscribe from the list and go become a
> > billionaire.

Unless I miss something per device fee are a feature of proprietary
software offering, and developpers of those devices turn to free
software to avoid them (see the poll).

> [...] Then get into the consumer market yourself and
> start selling products that can be customized not merely
> with ring-tones, games, etc -- but with radically hacked
> system software. [...]

That's what Nokia is doing with its Nokia 770 "Internet Tablet"
and its community site maemo.org (with full SDK). The 770 is a complete
arm based debian system with a nice screen and wifi for $260. 2005
firmware didn't have VoIP, just released beta 2006 firmware has it
(partnership with Google Talk).

Laurent (happy owner of a Nokia 770 :).