Subject: How can open source help someone become an entrepreneur?
From: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby@henkel-wallace.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 06:35:12 -0700

Woah, an excellent question!  And even after you wrote it it I was
surprised by your answer, because I didn't interpret it correctly.  I
love it.

Entrepreneurs are cheap (or they generally don't last too long) and
zero-cost, super-customisable software can save you real bucks, at
least short term (when you have more time than money).  And when
you're in such a situation, if you're smart and lucky, you can set up
your infrastructure such that you reap economies of scale that pay
off big time down the road.

That's fabulous for the yous and mes, but doesn't help most people.
Even for me, nowadays I can't _afford_ to spend any time fiddling
with software, or hardware for that matter.  It's cheaper for me to
buy something and plug it in than it would be for me to fiddle with it.

I would buy some of that stuff below were someone to come in provide
it to us.  But unfortunately I wouldn't pay a lot.

FS gives a different king of opp'y to the entrepreneur too (what I
had first thought you meant with that question) in that you can build
a highly-specific solution on top of an existing, significant base.
Sounds like you're doing that too.  But I think that topic has
already been extensively discussed, including in your last
paragraph...except:

The idea that you can build on top of cheap PCs, LAMP and a few
related technologies to rapidly and inexpensively get to market is
one of the touchstones of the whole "Web 2.0" brouhaha/bubble/echo
chamber/nonsense.  I think there _is_ an opportunity for one or two
people to make a difference (== help people and make more than pocket
change) by "putting that into a box"