Subject: Re: Revenue and business models
From: simo <s@ssimo.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:06:01 -0400

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 08:00 -0700, Thomas Lord wrote:

> Yes, well, Red Hat seems to do its level best to approximate option
> 3a: "You pay us $Y per copy and we can come in and audit to see how
> many copies you've made."   I'm shocked -- shocked I say! -- that they
> get away with that.   However, it's much more likely that they'll be
> forced to change practices by economics before they are by legal
> maneuvers, as they themselves seem to recognize with efforts like
> Fedora.   This is not to imply they've figured out how to get to
> option "3".

There's nothing to be shocked about, they sell you a service (support,
updates, etc) not the software. You can make copies of it and give them
away without any problem, the software comes with the GPL attached
(except for proprietary packages you would have to rip the off the CDs).

But it is correct that they ask you to use the service you paid for, and
if you don't they must have a away to verify that and shut the service
if you don't want to comply with the service agreement.
Note they will shut the service and only the service. I am sure they
would never had any chance to make you stop using your 1000 RHES boxes
you installed with just one license, you will just loose any option to
call their support and to get updates directly from RH.

Simo.