Subject: Re: Tom W. Bell paper
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 09:21:53 -0700

begin Rich Bodo quotation of Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 12:19:20AM -0700:

> Love the underlying motivation of the paper, and it's probably a good
> legal howto, but I didn't feel he addressed just the type of question
> you ask - the what, and it too quickly skims over the more intrigueing
> "why?".

I think Tom Lord and Hans Reiser have both made good
points that are relevant to the "why".  The existing
capital markets and patent system are optimized for
funding inventions that are already finished from a
research POV and well along in development.

I think Hans said only "governments and crazed
fanatics" do long-term R&D any more.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/