Subject: Re: Tom W. Bell paper
From: Seth Johnson <seth.johnson@RealMeasures.dyndns.org>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 18:34:34 -0400

I don't think it's sufficiently understood that science is a
process of discovering premises -- when discoveries are made,
it's often a reflection of new understandings of the nature of
the "stuff" that's presupposed in previous scientific knowledge:
new laws derive from new understandings of the terms that had
made up previous laws.

So deciding who won a bet on an undiscovered fact can really be
contentious -- can certainly be made to be contentious when the
interests of betting parties come into play.  The only way to do
that that I can think of, would be to require that some sort of
experimental apparatus be specified that would decide the outcome
by reproducibility.  But that would either be unsatisfactory for
the purpose of resolving issues of whether a fact was discovered,
because the experiment proposed would often/usually be irrelevant
to the real facts of the matter, or it would be nearly the same
as achieving the discovery yourself.

The usual principle in science where a discovery is proven by
reproducibility, works in large part because the only issue is
the verifiability of a discovery that way, not whether somebody
gets to win a predetermined bet.  Of course, in this world, there
is the other way of "proving" a discovery -- in a very, very
different sense -- which is the "proving" of bringing a discovery
to market in marketable form.

Seth

--

RIAA is the RISK!  Our NET is P2P!