Subject: Re: Software architecture matters
From: Santiago Gala <sgala@hisitech.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 11:13:03 +0200
Fri, 08 Sep 2006 11:13:03 +0200
El jue, 07-09-2006 a las 17:49 -0400, Kragen Javier Sitaker escribió:

> Although the topology, protocols, and incentives are more complicated,
> I think it's possible to fund full-text web search in basically the
> same way we fund email: each participant has some of the data and does
> some of the processing, and a distributed name service system tells
> them who else they need to talk to.

There is a severe breakage in the way email works:

   The amount of money that senders pay are not proportionate
   to the attention cost they make us receivers incur into.

I'm speaking of spam here, and I think this has been solved (for
the moment) much better in the XMPP/Jabber distribution model,
where there is *strong* identity and, thus, ways to get rid of
freeloaders burdening the system as a whole.

I'm fascinated on how the XMPP network is slowly developing and
integrating, in fact I'm thinking more and more that IM will get rid of
email as a messaging system in a few years (with the proper gateways).

Google, for instance, sends the gmail messages in their XMPP accounts if
you so desire.

Regards
Santiago
--