Subject: Re: Patent-based dual-licensing open source business model
From: Alan Hudson <giles@yumetech.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:20:45 -0700

Scott Capdevielle wrote:
> Lawrence,
> This is out of the box thinking and I know that as an attorney you have
> been trained to negotiate and probably enjoy the process. But from the
> potential licensor, it is a big impediment.  If you consider the model
> of ASCAP or other copyright licensing models, you can see that it has
> greased the wheels for inclusion of copyright works tremendously. There
> is no negotiation to take place and the cost simply becomes a cost of
> the project and not a large uncertainty.
>
> We are working along these lines in the medical field and believe that
> this license model in combination with an open source framework will
> spur continuous innovation.

Hmmm, the ASCAP model for software patents is an interesting one.  I'm
only familiar with the venue licensing.  Ie something like $75 a year
per business.  Does it have volume pricing for other uses(Radio
Stations)?  Ie as a developer perhaps I could pay a yearly fee for
access to all the covered patents.  But would a big software house have
to pay more?  Answering my own questions, Looks like ASCAP has a Blanket
license for large radio stations that is a percentage of revenue.

Priced right it might work for some developers/companies.  Not sure how
it fits for an open source project instead of a single developer or
commercial entity.

Of course to dole out the collected money you'd need something like the
songs played analogy.  As a developer its almost impossible to know what
patents I'm infringing/using.  So I don't know how you'd split the
collected proceeds.

--
Alan Hudson

President Yumetech, Inc.                               www.yumetech.com