Subject: Re: Patent-based dual-licensing open source business model
From: simo <s@ssimo.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 09:15:09 -0400

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 14:05 +0100, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> >"Patents!" There, I've said it. Should I go to free software jail?
>
> Patents also irk me, but the ones that irk me tend to be the ones that
> do hold up.
>
> It's because of the number of times I've personally, independently (I
> like to think) come up with some neat trick, often after a great deal
> of thinking, only to find out I'm not allowed to use _my_ idea because
> someone else had it too and patented it.
>
> This has happened so many times, it is a real downer to someone who
> enjoys solving problems.

That's because patenting software (ideas) is basically nonsense.
The balance between the power given by the monopoly and the difficulty
in coming up with the patented matter is completely screwed.
Patents are an acceptable evil when research and production are so
costly that strong incentives are needed. For software they are just a
chilling barrier against innovation.

Simo.