Subject: Re: Patent-based dual-licensing open source business model
From: Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 12:09:45 -0700
Thu, 14 Sep 2006 12:09:45 -0700
Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> Rob Cameron, the founder of International Characters, said it best in a
> discussion we've been having with Richard Stallman:
>

>> Perhaps the way forward is to recognize that the right to make
>> internal modifications without redistributing is a kind of privacy right.
>> Privacy rights are fundamentally human rights. These are important
>> rights to stand up for in so far as they apply to human beings. But
>> surely it is not a general principle that human rights should apply
>> to corporations like Google or BoA. This is the fundamental
>> requirement of our business model that we must address.

Best of luck with that and please keep us informed.

RMS, it seems to me, has historically not been willing to make a  clear
distinction between the rights of individual humans and the rights of
businesses and other artificial entities and activities of similar  scope.

He has made /some/ distinctions.   For example, the GFDL recognizes a
distinction between small and large-scale distribution of a document.

And, at least regarding music, he has said:

    I have no great sympathy for those who commercially copy music
    without paying the musicians.
    <http://mm.gnu.org.in/pipermail/fsf-friends/2003-October/001220.html>
    -- Richard M. Stallman

And when he speaks of a categorical imperative to share it is always in
terms of individual humans helping friends and neighbors.

Yet the GPL and other software licenses he puts forward are relentless
in putting the rights of businesses on an equal footing with the rights
of individuals.

-t

Lawrence Rosen wrote:
[...]

I have no great sympathy for those who commercially copy music without paying the musicians. -- Richard M. Stallman