Subject: Re: Patent-based dual-licensing open source business model
From: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby@henkel-wallace.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 18:18:01 -0700

For what it is worth the pharmaceutical industry is basically (to me)
still on that "old" model.  And though I'm a while away from it my
casual attention on the chip business seems to suggest it is not
radically different.

Although I haven't spent a lot of time on it it does appear to me
that patent system problems are largely domain-specific (e.g. patents
on business models, software, DNA sequences, ) and restricted to new
fields where what constitutes "common sense" is both not agreed on
and generally recognised as being still in a state were that's a
feature.

Unfortunately this is the fSb list so the S problems are critical.
But I would prefer to focus on that rather than the patent system as
a whole.