Subject: Re: termless copyright and patents
From: <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:40:04 +0900

Thomas Lord writes:

 > * Setting: A Summary of the Imagined Law

 >   A "limited patent" is a (an imagined) form of patent that can
 >   be obtained for as little as $75.  It is limited in term (say,
 >   to a maximum of 10 years, less if the filer so chooses).  It
 >   includes a mandatory offer for a public license, the price not
 >   to exceed $1M (less if the filer choses).

Sounds like it's in basically the same spirit as the Founder's
Copyright deal that the Creative Commons offers.

As you point out, though, you can't weaken other patents in the way
you propose without legislation, and I'm not sure trying to sneak that
in to legislation is a good idea.  If you're going to try to bash
"traditional" patents into something that is a little more friendly to
lifestyle businesses, then just do that by restricting traditional
patents in some way (for example, by legislating the "IC Convenant").

If you're going to subsidize such patents through a "patent liberation
foundation", wouldn't it be likely to be cheaper to buy them outright
and apply the IC Covenant to them?