Subject: RE: IC's patent-pending technology
From: simo <s@ssimo.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:35:09 -0400

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 18:09 -0700, Lawrence Rosen wrote:

> In any event, what you have told me so far is that, for YOUR free software,
> you'd rather avoid patented technology altogether even if it is offered to
> you for free but not for commercial use. You don't care that your free
> software could be much faster. You'd avoid patents no matter what value they
> could add to your software. That's one data point. Thanks.

Larry,
the problem here is that while that algorithm could make Thomas' program
much faster, it would make it not distributable as free software and
will make it unusable for commercial purposes.

This fact would probably make it less valuable than before, not more
valuable as adoption rate in many cases is more important than any
single feature or speed improvement.

That may be undesirable for you, but you must face this fact. Patents
add a cost and so often they are an obstacle not a benefit, unless the
problem is so hard that using the patent is unavoidable.

Simo.