Subject: Re: termless copyright and patents
From: "Ben Tilly" <btilly@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 07:41:06 -0700

On 9/26/06, stephen@xemacs.org <stephen@xemacs.org> wrote:

Lots of stuff that I'm ignoring since one tangential point caught my eye.

[...]
> (I note that Larry has denied the restriction against the GPL as well,
> saying that he believes the covenant is compatible with the GPL.)
[...]

Then Larry and I have a significant disagreement.  Given that he is a
lawyer etc, etc, etc, this is somewhat scary for me.  But hopefully he
will point out the error of my ways.

In my eyes, putting software on a computer and shipping that computer
to a customer is a form of distribution, and it would be against the
GPL for a third party to charge for distributing the software in that
fashion.  But this kind of distribution is one of the items that Larry
has explicitly said they would look to collect money for.

In fact it is exactly contemplation of this situation that lies behind
my comments about Debian's probable reaction to this covenant.

Cheers,
Ben