Subject: Re: US Software Patents Hit Record High (fwd)
From: simo <s@ssimo.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:55:35 -0400

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 11:47 -0700, Thomas Lord wrote:
> Russ Nelson wrote:
> > simo writes:
> >  > b) get out of it any useful teaching that is not yet widely available or
> >  > trivial to come with up given the problem space
> >
> > Indeed.  Unfortunately, patents are being granted to people who ask an
> > unobvious problem and then solve it using the obvious solution.
> >

> I'm not opposed to creating incentives for people who anticipate unobvious
> questions and then, when the question becomes shared, just "happen to have"
> the right sized wrench.

The reward already exist in the system in the form that if you are smart
enough, you come up to the market with a solution before others can even
think of the problem. So you have a 1-2 years competitive advantage over
competition that have to run to get to it.

Copyright is a great enabler for competition, patents are a great
barrier to competition, and we _want_ competition in our market, right?

Simo.