Subject: Re: "a better world" (was Re: GIF/LZW patent)
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 16:32:33 +0200

Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> I'll be blunt about it: If we didn't have copyright on software and only had
> patents, we'd be much better off. At least then monopolies would be based
> upon innovation instead of mere writings by armies of programmers of mostly
> me-too code. Programmers would be rewarded for being innovative, and the
> rest of us could otherwise copy and reuse any non-patented or off-patented
> software we wanted, regardless of who wrote it. That's how intellectual
> property works in every other area of technology! Wouldn't that be a better
> world?

> That's how intellectual property works in every other area of
> technology!

No ... not for vegetal varieties

and software is intellectual (intangible) creation obeying different
economic laws than "other areas of technology."

Hence patents on software has different economic effects.

Software, like usual patents is appropriated by intellectual property
...  which is in no way like property of material goods, and exists
only as a legal device.

Patents on software is IP over IP creation ...  an IP^2 (IP squared)
kind of thing.  You are making analogies that are unfounded.

Bernard

--
             Le brevet logiciel menace votre entreprise
               Software patents threaten your company