Subject: Re: Thoughts on GPL
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 10:52:09 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Jonathan Shapiro wrote:
> My comments to Kragen were written in haste, so I'ld like to restate them
> more carefully.

Again, I'm sorry I forwarded the hasty comments to the list without
your permission.  After reading your clarification, I believe that many
of the list's readers probably understood your point in its abbreviated
form, having wrestled with it themselves.

> If GPL let me make that $500k investment but keep it to myself for a
> decently short period of time (say: 18 months) then many more investments
> could be justfied.  This is the goal of patent, but the duration is too long
> and becomes a problem to third parties.

You could commit to releasing your software under GPL at some future
time in order to attract help from more developers.  You may not think
it's worth it, but some significant pieces of fairly-free software are
funded this way -- Aladdin's GhostScript, for example, is quite
profitable for Aladdin, who licenses it to a number of printer
companies.

Kragen