Subject: Re: mandatory patent auctions
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 15:34:01 -0700

begin Seth Gordon quotation of Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 09:23:42AM -0400:

> I have seen a proposal floated around that the government should reform
> the patent system as follows:
>
> (1) When a patent is issued, the owner must put it up for auction.  (You
> can bid on your own patent in the auction.)
>
> (1.5) [my friendly amendment:] When putting the patent up for auction,
> the owner may specify nondiscriminatory terms under which the
> auction-winner and all successive owners must license the patent.
>
> (2) After the auction is over, the government flips a coin, and if it
> comes up heads, the government buys the patent for 150% of the winning
> bid, and releases the patent into the public domain.

> Comments?

I hope this goes through.  I'll patent a few trivial
things and bid a billion trillion dollars for each
patent.  Worst case, I write myself a meaningless
check; best case the government gives me all the
money in the world.

Sweet.

--
Don Marti