Subject: Re: termless copyright and patents
From: Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 15:37:43 -0700

Ben Tilly wrote:
>> So if GPLv2 didn't cause the balkanization of the FS world, I don't see
>> how the GPLv3 can possibly do it.
>
> It may be that lots of companies wouldn't object to the GPL v2's
> implicit grant simply because they didn't realize that it was in
> there.

That's about my position but I'd add some stuff.

I think GPLv2

   a) will win over GPLv3d2 in the community, for the most part

   b) should (but its a toss-up) win among FSBs who have any influence,
       for the most part

   c) implies a far broader patent covenant than GPLv3d2 seems to
      implicitly state

   d) but (c) -- and yes, this does take some thought to see -- is actually
       a big win for pretty much everyone involved and is really not a
       loss for anyone

Companies may not have though GPLv2 through in exactly all of these
ways but I don't think they'll find anything to regret.

-t

>> Simo.
>>
>> P.S: I've lobbied to add a clarification to section 11 in today
>> committee-A conference call, and it is likely that it will be considered
>> for addition in d3.

I look forward to seeing what they come up with.   Is there political room
to inject the "suggested claims" interpretation of GPLv2 into the mix?
Or is it, as I suspect, far, far too late?