Subject: Re: GIF/LZW patent
From: <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 12:20:42 +0900

Michael Bernstein writes:
 > On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 15:15 +0900, stephen@xemacs.org wrote:
 > > Yes, you can negotiate for the whole thing.  But it's hard to break up
 > > into parts.  Patents, on the other hand, naturally come piecemeal.
 >
 > Really? How do I license only one claim from a patent?

See Ben's reply.

 > How widespread is the practice of licensing only a subset of a patent's
 > claims?

I don't know, but I would expect that it is fairly common when
royalties are involved for economic reasons: it protects the
downstream market power of the individual licensees, which allows the
licensor to extract higher total royalties, while the claim-limited
licenses might be cheaper for an individual firm that doesn't intend
to try to invade the other's territory.