Subject: Re: Speculating on where the distro market is going
From: "Forrest J. Cavalier III" <mibsoft@mibsoftware.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:24:45 -0400

Federico Lucifredi wrote:

> Gentlemen -
>   I have been pondering on the not so subtle signals Oracle has been
> giving out, and in the last two days I more or less stabilized my
> outlook as the following. Please, tear it up ;-)
>

> Everyone's current reading of the market is that Oracle is going farther
> than already announced with Ubuntu.  Two scenarios pop out from all the
> possible futures: (a) Oracle extends said partnership, to a point where

There was some interesting analysis of commodity markets in the last
decade which make a pretty strong case that all such markets tend toward
3 dominant players, with a bunch of fringe stragglers.  There is only
room for 3 dominant players.  And there IS room for 3 dominant players.
Getting above 30% market share is hard.  Other interesting conclusions
about mergers, competition, and buyouts.

I remember reading a series of articles in IEEE Computer Magazine, but cannot
recall the author.  But I remember it opened my eyes to explain a lot
of the dynamics in a lot of different markets.