Subject: Re: question about selling software for an opensource project
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:14:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Marc Manthey wrote:
> My idea is, i want to to start a webpage, wiki, forum support and
> anonymous CVS for my project, where anybody could download the sources
> for free and SELL the ready made binarys that i provide for windows,
> macintosh and unix for consumers or non- geeks that are not able to
> compile it for themselfs for a little fee.
>
> Is this legal ? Or what other possibility i have, because there is no
> sponsor involved and we need some money for food ;-) Any ideas would be
> greatly appreciated

Aah, Maslow's hierarchy of needs strikes again!  :)

Yep, what you want to do is perfectly legal.  You might want to also
consider selling a support agreement with those downloads.  One thing to
consider, however, is that you can't prevent someone else from doing the
same thing.  If you use a copyleft license, then it'll require that anyone
who does the same thing also provides the source code (under the same
license) to those binaries, even if modified.

Hope this helps,

 	Brian