Subject: Re: "incentive void"
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 12:23:45 +0900

Thomas Lord writes:

 > 3-5 years later that territory is entirely mapped out and nobody
 > needs to think very hard about how to solve those problems: the
 > legal issues are well understood; there are many, usable gratis
 > GNU/Linux distributions with proved reputations to chose from.
 > Even the hardware is more of a commodity.

But what that suggests is that the 10-15 man team is hardly needed.
Yes, we're getting close to the widget frosting model, and by that
very token, the software is no longer where the value-added is; it's
overhead.  In the extreme you get a one-man consultancy as the
"software department", with any larger-scale action in the hardware
and marketing areas.

Nor do I see growth here for any single firm; at best I see a good
lifestyle business.  Don't get me wrong; a world in which even the
rats don't have to race is a world I'd like to live in.  But people
working in these firms are going to have very little time to work on
software.  They're going to be small enough that most of the time even
of senior developers will be spent on customer service and marketing.

That's not such a bad prospect, but I wonder if it's the one that
FSBers want?