Subject: Re: Mp3, patents, and Ogg/Vorbis
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:28:52 -0800

begin Luis Villa quotation of Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 07:25:54AM -0500:

> Everyone who has anything to sue in our space was already pushing ogg
> (primarily RH and Novell.) Ubuntu seems to think that being based in
> the Isle of Man covers their asses (unlike RH and Novell, they ship
> mp3 from ubuntu-owned servers.) Real and Fluendo ship mp3, but
> presumably both pay licensing fees, and Real presumably has a patent
> thicket of their own.

You can also get a licensed mp3 decoder through
Linspire -- currently for their distribution only,
but they have announced that they'll start offering
their "Click-n-Run Warehouse" service for other
distributions.

My question is: does anyone know of a licensed
_en_coder for Linux that's available in quantity one?
(I know that embedded vendors can get them but the
minimum license fee is pretty high.)

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/