Subject: Re: Mp3, patents, and Ogg/Vorbis
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:40:52 -0800

begin Luis Villa quotation of Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 05:56:20PM -0500:
> From what I understand of DVD licensing* they are practically begging
> to get sued on DVD issues, so I'm not sure one should take their
> position on mp3s to be a strong indication one way or the other of the
> relative legal liability of mp3s/oggs, or even their own legal
> position wrt mp3s. But yes, they do offer you the option of paying for
> an mp3 decoder. :)
>
> (And no idea on the encoder front. Any particular reason you need (a
> legal) one that vorbis won't suffice?)

Lots of cheap portable devices support MP3 but not
Ogg Vorbis.  And I don't know of any CD player that
supports Ogg Vorbis on a CD, but there are quite a
few MP3 CD players on the market now.

> * the DVD-CCA agreement apparently requires Macrovision as part of any
> DVD player implementation, and no one has implemented Macrovision on
> Linux. So they may not have gotten sued yet, but that doesn't mean
> they've actually got a DVD-CCA agreement.

IBM did once do Macrovision on Linux, as a kernel
module.  (I'm sure Tivo and other embedded vendors
have implementations, too, but that doesn't really
count.)  Don't have the original of this but here's
a forward:
  http://zgp.org/pipermail/linux-elitists/2001-April/002236.html

--
Don Marti