Subject: The GNU AGPL and Free Software Businesses
From: "Michael R. Bernstein" <michael@fandomhome.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:29:10 -0700
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:29:10 -0700
The list has been rather quite for a while, so I thought I'd kick off a
discussion.

How do you think the new GNU AGPL[1] will affect the landscape of Free
Software Businesses?

My opinion is that the existence of a GPL-compatible & FSF-endorsed
software license that closes the 'web-app loophole' will expand the
territory of the now-familiar dual-licensing business model to hosted
user-facing web-applications, particularly where instances of such
applications participate in a larger ecology that has it's own network
effects (by sharing and federating data, for example).

What say you?

- Michael R. Bernstein
  michaelbernstein.com

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]