Subject: Re: The GNU AGPL and Free Software Businesses
From: "Michael R. Bernstein" <michael@fandomhome.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 21:30:39 -0700
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 21:30:39 -0700
On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 12:51 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> For example, suppose you've gone past alpha test with
> your derivative of AGPL code, and now you want to beta test.  *You
> must distribute your changes.*

No. Under the AGPL, you must allow users to download the code for the
version they are using.

> You allowed for that in your business
> plan, which turns on first-mover advantages, not on secrecy.  But it
> turns out that the AGPL code sucks, and you need something different.
> Tough luck, bubba; you've revealed a lot of what you intend to do, and
> now your competitors are almost even with you in terms of code,
> including the information that the free code isn't up to the task.

Unless your competitors are part of your beta group *and* downloaded the
code while it was available, I don't think your code is 'in the wild' if
you revert.

- Michael R. Bernstein

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]