Subject: Re: The GNU AGPL and Free Software Businesses
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 07:14:10 -0700

begin Stephen J. Turnbull quotation of Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 12:51:07PM +0900:

> The GPL restrictions on freedom (even RMS calls them that when he's in
> an honest mood) are a very fine balance, IMO nearly optimal.  What I
> mean by that is that as you go beyond the very precise reciprocality
> of the GPL (which does create a closed and lossless ecology of free
> software), you very rapidly lose effectiveness in achieving the stated
> purpose of the new terms (fighting DRM and patents, closing the webapp
> loophole) for a given amount of restriction, not to mention the
> additional complexity required to define the terms.

The original Affero GPL has been available since
2002, but who's using it?

Sure, Matt Asay said, "GPL is the new BSD" but even
Alfresco went with the conventional GPL.

Tim O'Reilly said (
http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/07/the_gpl_and_sof_1.html
) "I know about the AGPL, but how widely used is
it? Not very. It would need to be the dominant license
for free software used in web construction for it to
have an effect." -- but couldn't one big application
be "dominant" in its own developer community, the way
Movable Type is?   So where are all the AGPL projects?

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/