Subject: risk management
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 03:46:14 +0900

Thomas Lord writes:

 > What I'm saying is: let's pay some attention to the process by which those
 > managers identify the "best project in its field".   Where do they get their
 > ideas?   How do they compare the various ideas available to them at a given
 > time?  Who are they talking to?   How are they conceptualizing the space
 > of technological possibilities?  What are their inputs?

All good questions.

 > The high-end of a pre-purchase market is way to, in an open-source
 > marketplace, get some outside help on strategic thinking.

Maybe.  But "market" implies a well-defined good, and the nature of
your pre-purchase idea seems to be basically "Trust me, it'll be
great!"

All-in-all, it seems to me you've just relabeled the notion of
"patronage" or in more modern terms, "research grant".  We already
know that those haven't worked for you.  Is this really something new?
Or are you hoping you've found a better way to market those notions to
potential patrons?