Subject: Re: small worlds and better than ransom
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 06:09:16 +0900

simo writes:

 > On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 03:39 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
 > > If you're describing internal competition, this is a management
 > > problem, not a problem with competition per se.
 >
 > No, it was not internal, I was talking about competition between
 > companies [or FLOSS projects],

 > In both cases you don't have a common manager,

You don't need a *common* manager, you need a *good* one (and you need
the new all-singing, all-dancing version of our Manager product if
it's not a common manager :-).

 > and competition on the field requires the project to provide the
 > same list of features of the adversary +1 (I am greatly simplifying
 > of course), or you have to spend a lot of time educating why you
 > don't provide a specific feature the other implements.

I concede this is a problem, but this is not the part of "project
space" that Tom is interested in.  Also, IMHO a profit-oriented firm
should recognize persistence of either of these situations as a strong
signal to take their resources to a different market.  (FLOSS projects
have other motivations, so it may be a "real" problem, there.)