Subject: Re: offering pre-purchases
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 17:23:44 -0700
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 17:23:44 -0700
begin Michael R. Bernstein quotation of Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 04:24:26PM -0700:
> On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 14:32 -0400, La Monte Henry Piggy Yarroll wrote:
> > >
> > I think I originally learned of this article here in FSB:
> >
> > http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/CamelsandRubberDuckies.html
> >
> > One interesting takeaway from the article is that there is almost no
> > successful software between $1000 and $75000. I don't think the numbers
> > have changed radically since the article was written.
>
> The gap itself hasn't changed much, but software-as-a-service offerings
> do typically scale smoothly through that pricing gap (assumption: the
> numbers are a roughly annual cost) and as a consequence have been
> filling that niche.

And Joel Spolsky is talking about proprietary software
-- the transaction costs for open source can be lower.

  http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/081607-matt-asay-interview.html

But if the software doesn't actually exist yet, can
you really take advantage of the lower costs to sell
SaaS or open source -- or will cost of sales actually
be higher because it's all about something that has
to be told and not shown?

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/