Subject: Re: offering pre-purchases
From: Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 02:21:59 -0700

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> One further issue that occurs to me, one that Joel discusses but Tom
> misses, is discounting.  Not only is delivery of "pre-purchased"
> software is uncertain, reducing the value, but this is compounded by
> the fact that it's in the future, which also reduces the value, while
> payments are up front.  No accountant is going to approve that.

The delivery of a hypothetical release is in the future, certainly,
but the customer relationship commences immediately upon
purchase.   For example, if I get a phone call or an email from
a customer, that's different than if I get one from someone else.

So, the value is certain and begins immediately upon purchase.

That has been my first customer's experience, at least.

-t